Expat Tax Rules for U.S. Citizens Working Overseas

At a glance

Learn more about expat tax rules for U.S. citizens working abroad, from the experts at H&R Block. Find out if you need to pay taxes on money earned overseas.

Image for Expat Tax Rules for U.S. Citizens Working Overseas

“Do U.S. citizens have to pay taxes on foreign income?” “How much taxes do I pay if I work overseas?” “As a citizen working abroad, what are my U.S. income tax filing requirements?”

If these questions sound familiar, you’re not alone—U.S. expat tax rules can be confusing and downright complicated for even the most financially-savvy Americans.

Despite what you might think, you do have a tax obligation to the United States as long as you’re a citizen—regardless if you’re currently living in Tokyo, Japan or St. Louis, Missouri.

Ready to file your expat taxes? Whether you file expat taxes yourself with our online DIY expat tax service designed specifically for U.S. citizens abroad or file with an advisor, H&R Block is here to help.

Do U.S. citizens have to pay taxes on foreign income?

Yes, U.S. citizens have to pay taxes on foreign income if they meet the filing thresholds, which are generally equivalent to the standard deduction for your filing status. You may wonder why U.S. citizens pay taxes on income earned abroad. U.S. taxes are based on citizenship, not country of residence. That means it doesn’t matter where you call home, if you’re considered a U.S. citizen, you have a tax obligation.

Your expat tax filing requirement doesn’t change even if you’re paid by a foreign employer overseas. In addition to federal income taxes, some U.S. citizens living abroad also need to file state taxes as well, depending on their last state of residence.

Taxable foreign-earned income includes:

  • Wages
  • Interest
  • Dividends
  • Rental Income

If you’re a U.S. citizen abroad and have never filed a tax return, you can relax. The IRS built in a safeguard for honest expats who truly didn’t know they had to file. You can get caught up penalty-free with Streamlined Filing Compliance Procedures. To qualify, you must:

  • Have lived in a foreign country for at least 330 days during one of the last three years
  • Confirm it was a genuine mistake you failed to file your U.S. tax return and FBAR

How much taxes do I pay if I work overseas?

Now that you know U.S. citizens have to pay taxes on foreign income, your next question is probably about how much in taxes you pay if you work overseas. You might wonder if you’ll have any money in the bank after paying both your U.S. and host country income tax liabilities!

Fortunately, even though most U.S. citizens working overseas must file taxes, expat tax rules have evolved so most expats don’t actually owe any amount at the end of the year.

While there is no overall U.S. expat tax exemption, there are exclusions and credits—like the foreign earned income exclusion and foreign tax credit—to help alleviate the tax burden for U.S. citizens living abroad. Tax exclusions and credits are just two examples of the many unique tax rules applicable to U.S. expats working overseas, so it could be helpful to work with a qualified and reputable expat Tax Advisor to help manage your worldwide tax burden.

Want to know more? Learn the top 20 things every American overseas should know about U.S. expat taxes.

Work overseas? Confused about paying taxes on foreign income or your expat tax filing requirements? Leave it to the experts at H&R Block

For U.S. citizens abroad, expat tax rules can be a headache. Have more questions or confused on how expats file taxes? Ready to file? No matter where in the world you are, we’ve got a tax solution for you. Get started with our made-for-expats online expat tax services today!

Was this article helpful?

See what expats have to say about their experience with us.

Kristi Heinz

H&R Block Expat Tax has always been fast, efficient and answers my questions. For 10 years I filed everything myself and never received a refund. Now I get a big refund every year! Wish I had known sooner. I highly recommend HRB Expat Tax.

Arkadiusz Malinowski

H&R Block U.S. Expat Tax Services does a really great job! Fast and reliable. Tax Organizer was very easy to use. And what I really like most is very quick and precise answers whenever you have a question. Thank you!

Ayesha Sultan

I live in Kenya now and run my own online digital marketing business. Using this service has helped me save tons of time and energy on my taxes. I am also really relieved that they will help if I need it during audits. It really makes living abroad and doing taxes a million times better.

Jennifer Thompson

I have been using H&R block for a few years now. I live abroad, but don't make a lot of money. Filing with H&R block is as painless as doing taxes gets and my Advisor is wonderful and answers all my questions.

Alison Watts

Expat taxes made easy. I had a great experience this year - I used HR Block last year and was very impressed with the efficiency and accuracy and professionalism throughout the whole process.

woman filing expat taxes online with H&R Block

No one offers more ways to get tax help than H&R Block.

Easy online filing designed for expats. Experienced experts if you need them. Get your taxes done in the way that’s right
for you.